Skin Care Regimens for the Active Individual
Athletes, you’ve got the dedication, the heart, the strength, endurance, and agility…and ACNE?? When your body is in tip-top shape feeling good and looking good, your skin should be too!
It is very common for athletes to deal with recurring acne on their face, neck, shoulders, back, chest, and even arms and legs. This acne may be termed ‘Mechanical’ when caused by the rubbing of skin against clothing and equipment or referred to as ‘Folliculitis’ where hair follicles become infected or inflamed due to friction. Tight clothing and equipment surfaces trap sweat against the skin and breed growth of bacteria. The irritation from friction and the bacteria present can increase sebum production in the pores to cause pimples.
Here are six steps to take to help protect your skin through all of your sweat and hard work!
- Workout with a clean face with hair tied back to avoid spreading dirt and oils as you sweat. Headbands and hats and sweat wicking clothing will prevent sweat from sitting on the skin or rolling down your face.
- Keep travel care items in your gym bag including face wipes or cleansing cloths, a moisturizer, and an SPF if you’re active outdoors.
- Remove equipment and workout clothes as soon as possible after your workout.
- Cleanse the face and body post-workout to remove sweat and bacteria before it can settle in your pores. If you are experiencing body acne, your post-workout shower is a good time to apply a salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide cleanser.
- Exfoliate weekly to remove dead skin cells from the friction of tight athletic gear as well as bacteria that may become trapped in pores. A cleanser with hydroxy acid will help with this exfoliation process.
- Replenish water and minerals lost through sweat sessions like zinc and magnesium. Healthy skin, like the rest of your body, needs hydration, vitamins, and minerals.
For the active individual, Dr. Hill offers a SOCAH Skin Benzoyl Peroxide 5% Gentle Cleanser that her athletes love! It is an anti-inflammatory wash great for any athlete, gym-goer, or active person looking to clear and prevent acne on the face, back, and body. Her formula contains microparticles for better absorption into the skin along with a gentle base of hyaluronic acid to exfoliate, rehydrate, and rebuild skin collagen.
See a dermatologist if your acne persists even with a consistent regimen. Your dermatologist can help clear your acne and prevent future breakouts with a skin regimen and treatment plan specific for your particular routines and activities.